Just a short 40-minute drive west of Madison is the scenic Spring Green area—known for the American Players Theatre, Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin, The House on the Rock—and, its extremely popular Spring Green Arts and Crafts Fair. This year marks the 50th anniversary of the storied event.
Held annually the last weekend of June (this year on June 29-30), the fair boasts over 200 local and national artists that set up shop on Spring Green’s idyllic main drag. While the downtown is a quaint reminder of days gone by with its adorable storefronts and quiet appeal, the fair brings the community national credibility in the talent that sets up shop on the few-blocks stretch of downtown. Artists work in a variety of mediums including painting, pottery, wood works, photography, glass items, jewelry, fine crafts and more. Live music and concessions are available, too.
While downtown, be sure to stop by these local gems that offer an amazing atmosphere and have an unrivaled selection of cool, curated items, hand-picked by their talented owners.
- Arcadia Books: This amazing local bookstore is a gem in Spring Green. Peruse the shelves of new releases and their adorable collection of kid’s books and feel like you’re in a San Francisco or Soho bookshop. Arcadia has local author meet-and-greets frequently (like at July’s event with Madison author Dean Strang, where he discusses his book “Keep the Wretches in Order” on a U.S. labor dispute) and their kitchen has truly excellent café food—of which many of the ingredients are locally sourced. If you come another weekend, grab a cute café table outside, buy some lunch and read your newly-purchased book.
- Convivio: Another can’t-be-missed spot, this kitchenware, wine shop and coffee place is owned by the talented Mary D’Alton, who has a keen eye for anything unique. This historic space with period-perfect architectural details is where you can find your next great gift, bottle of wine or cup of espresso—best enjoyed on their outdoor patio in back.
- Nina’s Department & Variety Store: Set on the main drag, this charming jack-of-all-trades shop has bath and body items, gifts, seasonal goods, toys, kitchenware and more. The “variety” in the name suits their selection—and it’s fun to see what you’ll discover perusing their shelves.
- Prairie Flowers & Gifts: Next door to Convivio is this beautiful-smelling shop that serves primarily as a floral boutique, but also has gift items, jewelry, apparel and baby gifts. It’s another must-stop in the area.
- Spring Green General Store: Located on the edge of downtown, this blue building with inviting front porch certainly looks like an old-timey general store. It’s another unique shop where you can find a little bit of everything—toys, cards, bath and body products, locally-made items and a hefty dose of small-town charm. Plus, their café serves breakfast and lunch!
Photo courtesy of travelwisconsin.com
Comments are closed.