Don your dirndl and break out the lederhosen, a new German festival is coming to the Walworth County Fairgrounds in Elkhorn, Wisconsin Aug. 13-15. Here are the top five reasons it should be on your summer must list this year.
- 3 areas of entertainment.Headlining the giant Oktoberfest Tent is the Grammy-nominated and wildly eclectic Alex Meixner. Sing and sway to German songs during the day and dance the night away to party polka tunes in DAS Biergarten. Finally, visit the Heritage Haus, bursting with culture, traditional music, German dance performances and the Original Live Glockenspiel.
- German food and beverages.DAS Fest USA is bringing the famous Mader’s Restaurant to the heart of Walworth County. Mader’s will be hosting a sit-down dining experience. Among the specialty dishes are pork shank, sauerbraten, rollbraten and jaeger schnitzel. You can also feast on other favorites at DAS Fest like bratwurst, gigantic pretzels, Reuben rolls and potato pancakes. Hungry yet? Enjoy a glass of wine with a piece of Black Forest cake at Inge’s Konditorei, or choose a local craft brew poured along DAS Fest’s Stein Street. It wouldn’t be an official “Prost!” without a liter of Hofbrau, Paulaner or Hacker-Pschorr.
- Expect amusement for all ages at DAS Fest. Cheer on your doxie at the Dachshund Races, hop on a carnival ride and play Bingo or Euchre in TRIXI’S Game Garten. Register to run DAS “Run for Rotary” 5K on Saturday; enjoy Thrivent’s Family Day on Sunday; and, of course, sign up for a Stein Hoist or the Barrel Roll competition.
- Shop the indoor and outdoor Marktplatz, a German shopping village. Vendors are traveling to DAS Fest from across the U.S., setting up thousands of square feet of dirndls, lederhosen, steins, cuckoo clocks and more. Look for an Oktoberfest outfit, or bring your holiday shopping list. These aren’t shops you’ll see every day.
- The first half hour.Showing up early at DAS Fest comes with a few perks. When the gates open each day, for the first 30 minutes, the DAS Fest Street Team will be greeting guests with free swag. Plus, you can mark your spot in the Oktoberfest Tent and get ready for a full day of gemütlichkeit.
The new three-day festival supports over 40 nonprofits, making it another top reason DAS Fest needs to be a summer must. Visit the One Mission Zone at DAS Fest and vote for your favorite nonprofit, giving them a chance to win an extra $1,000. You can even sign up to sample a few wines at the Wines for Humanity Wine Stube in the OMZ. Cheers to starting a new tradition.
DAS Fest USA is co-hosted by the Elkhorn Area Chamber of Commerce and the United Way of Walworth County, and will be held on the 99-acre Walworth County Fairgrounds Aug. 13-15, 2021.
Visit www.dasfestusa.com or call the DAS Team at 262-723-5788. #DiscoverYourDeutsch at DAS Fest USA.